Sunday 4 September 2011

Europe Trip #8: Welcome to Berlin - Tiergarten

Tiergarten is a huge bush/ park area in the middle of Berlin. I think the name translates something like "zoo", and yes, there's one of those hidden in there somewhere. I really only saw a little bit down a couple of edges as I walked from the Brundenburg Tor to Siegessäule and back - a distance of roughly 3km each way in a straight line, so probably just over 6km [total] since I walked through the park area rather than straight down the road. Did I mention it felt like a heatwave?? I was sure glad that I had some shelter from the sun!


Anyway, it's a nice walk through a really nice part of Berlin. The grounds have a number of statues and monuments scattered around - not all of them look like they are being maintained, but strangely, that doesn't feel out of place considering the "untouched" bush in many places. Apparently in summer, Tiergarten can attract 100,000+ visitors trying to get some rest or shade. They'd probably all fit in very easily!


Anyway, here are the photos.






No comments: