Tuesday 20 September 2011

Europe Trip 2011 #28: Back in London

Well, actually, I'm back home in New Zealand now, but I thought I should finish with a wrap-up of the last couple of days in London.

After returning to London from Prague, I again stayed with my sister, bro-in-law and niece. It's a nice way to travel - staying with family - and it made for a relaxing 3 days before my long trip back to New Zealand. I had already done most of the touristy things I wanted to do which made it even more relaxing. I did however get out to a couple of interesting places.

The first was the Imperial War Museum - London. On my previous trip to England a couple of years ago, I had been to IWM Duxford, but I never made it to the London branch. I very interesting visit - lots of tanks, some planes and a few missiles, and lots of other interesting exhibits and information. I particularly liked the trench exhibit, where they had made up a mock trench to walk through.

Next was the Tate Modern (international modern and contemporary art). Not exactly a place I would rush to visit again, although the cafe had very good views. I know, maybe I just don't get art or something? :-)

Following the Tate Modern was a walk to see my bro-in-law's workplace on the HMS President. This is an old (1918's vintage) royal navy "Q ship", which is now permanently moored, and has conference, catering, wedding and serviced work facilities. An AWESOME place to work by the look of it, and the on-board bar is a great place to have a relaxing beer after work :-)

Lastly, there was a quick visit to London's South Bank area, in what they describe as "the cultural heart of the city" and "home to London's most iconic attractions, theatres, arts and design-led venues. The area is buzzing with things to see and do all year round; free events, music, film, exhibitions, dance, theatre, debates, festivals and all sorts of family fun." Also a great place to get a Polish sausage if you're feeling a bit peckish. Yum!

Anyway, that's about it. All in all, a really nice trip. The flights were good [OK, Air NZ and BMI were really good, Easyjet was... well... Easyjet :-)], Berlin was awesome to visit, Prague was ok, and fantastic to catch up with family in London! Having arrived home, I'm a bit tired, although pretty good considering. I am looking forward to having the rest of the week off work to recover though. Back to work next Monday!

Here's a few pictures of those last couple of days.







No comments: