Sunday 4 September 2011

Europe Trip #5: Welcome to Berlin - Hop on hop off bus

Well, I'm in Berlin now. I've never been here before, but I've been told lots of good stories , so I have been looking forward to it.

I'm in a little hotel called Hotel Kubrat, which is right in the middle of everything, just inside what would have been the eastern side of the Berlin Wall. It is 5 minutes walk from "Checkpoint Charlie" and 10-15 minutes from the Brandenburg Tor [Gate], so really central. More on the hotel in a later post [if I remember] though.

Today's sightseeing consisted of a walk to Brandenburg Tor, followed by a sightseeing trip on the "Hop On Hop Off" bus [EUR15] which was a chance to see the lie of the land so to speak and scout out a couple of other areas to go and see. The following pictures are from that tour. Sorry, I don't have descriptions for all of them, although the first one is part of the Bundestag [German Parliament], the second is the official residence of the German President [although I understand he does not live there], the third is part of the Berlin Wall that has been left up [not sure what part of the city that was], followed by some river we crossed, then the Berlin University and a museum. The last picture is of my hotel, but as I mentioned before, more on that later.








The remaining sightseeing will be covered in the next few posts [BTW - if anyone wants to correct any of the info above, please leave me a comment!].

No comments: