Tuesday 15 September 2009

Europe Trip #10: Slovenia/ Bled - 5 - River Tubing

On our last full day in Bled [and the day after the wedding], a large group of us when river tubing. For the initiated, this involves coasting 8 or so kms down a river on old tracker tire tubes. Awesome fun!

The trip was professionally led, and after getting on the wetsuits, wetsuit shoe thingies [that´s a technical term I think], jackets, life jackets and helmets, followed by a brief [but very sufficient] safety briefing [including the very important demonstration of how to lift your bum up if you´re approach rocks!!! :-)], we put the tubes in the river and set off.

It was a bit wet to be taking my camera, so no photos from the water. The river was gentle enough for us novices, but rough enough to make it exciting and keep us awake. I almost disappeared from view once [I went right beside a big rock and the water dropped down about 1/2 a meter afterwards], only to look up and see one of the guides laughing his head off - I must have had a decent expression on my face :-)

Just over half way down the river we stopped at a bridge where most of us did the 5 meter jump in to the river. Now that was awesome, although it all goes on slo-mo when you jump... We saw a couple of great face-plants [thankfully not me!] :-)

After the trip, we all warmed up with some blueberry schnapps [yum yum YUM!], then headed off to the BBQ [The Slovenes take their meat seriously - an awesome feed!] while the second group did their river trip.

All in all, a great day out and another highly recommended event in Bled!

Pictures are of us suiting up and at the BBQ. I have no pictures of me dropping off the bridge, so don´t ask :-)

No comments: