Friday 7 September 2012

DLR, London City Airport and the Emirates Air Line Cable Car

Yesterday was my first day of going out "exploring". The main reason was I wanted to be sure of the route to London City Airport for my flight on Saturday, but I also wanted to have a general look around. I started by re-familiarising myself with the areas around the Embankment and Westminster tube stations [this is where Parliament is as well as a number of other attractions]. I then headed back to the Bank tube station and found my way to the Docklands Light Rail [DLR] station, to work out how to get to London City Airport.

I'm glad i did, because it appears there are no direct routes to London City Airport from Bank [I could be wrong]! In any case, it;'s just a matter of taking one of the other routes and changing to the correct route at a later station. No drama's as it turns out. Phew!

On the way back, I did a bit of exploring via the DLR and ended up at the Royal Victoria station, which is right next to the Emirates Air Line cable car. Take a guess at who the sponsor is :-)

It is expensive, but it does give a great view over the city at up to 200 feet above the ground as you'll see from some of the following photos. I reckon it is well worth doing at least once - a bit like the London Eye [which I've taken on my previous visits to London], or a Thames River cruise.

Anyway, here are some photos. The first is of the London City Airport DLR station, followed by a number of views of the cable car. The 5th photo shows the Olympic Statium at Stratford in the distance. Enjoy! Wish you were here! :-)










No comments: