Friday 7 June 2013

Europe Trip 2013: Portsmouth Historic Dockyard

I've been in the UK for a few days now [and tomorrow I head off to Finland], but I'm just getting around to putting up a couple of posts about what I've been up to...

On 3 June my father and I headed off to Portsmouth to see the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. As its name suggests, it is an old dockyard [they say about 800 years of history!] and [as far as I can tell] is part of the current Royal Navy base at Portsmouth.

There are a number of attractions, including the HMS Warrior from 1860, the HMS Victory [launch in 1765!], the May Rose [being preserved after hundreds of years under water], as well as a 45 minute harbour cruise, the National Museum of the Royal Navy and much more. Well worth the 25 pound entry fee - especially since tickets appear to be valid for a whole 12 months.
 
Anyway, here are a few photos. Top to bottom are:

Outside then inside of the HMS Warrior
Outside then inside then front on shot of the HMS Victory
The Mary Rose under restoration, including a preserved cannon
Various pictures from the harbour cruise, which included a lot of commentary about the royal Navy vessels and the current port













No comments: