Monday 15 August 2011

They say it's a "1 in 50 year" storm...

... and that's perhaps easy enough to believe.

As you'll see in the photos below, it has been snowing on and off during the day [the first photo was taken from work this morning], and as the subsequent photos show, its much worse this evening than yesterday evening.

This evening the winds are up [!], there's been thunder and lightening, my deck is covered in ice, and likewise the pathway I had to [very slowly] walk up this evening. Add to that, I dropped a colleague off home this evening, and he's even higher up on a hill, and as the second photo shows, there's snow and lots of ice on the roads, and it's a steep road :-). The final 3 photos show the view from my place. Ice covered roads and an ice covered car [Mum, Dad, don't worry - I'm looking after your car :-)].

Driving home was hazardous with all the ice - I lost traction 4 or 5 times, albeit only very briefly. Fortunately I was driving slowly and didn't hit the brakes, so there was nothing too much too it - a bit unnerving at times on the hills though. Don't think I'll go anywhere tonight though, that would be asking for trouble. I checked the wheel tracks left by my car as soon as I got out, and they were smooth ice - ouch!

Inside all is warm with the heat pump and double glazing, although the lights have been flickering a bit, so the power network is getting a good workout.

Anyway, here's the photos. Not sure if I will get into work tomorrow - if it eases off a bit I might be able to make it, but if it's all ice, I won't be going near a car, or public buses.






No comments: